Australia - AC Endeavour O’pen Qualification System
All participants in the America’s Cup Endeavour O’pen must meet these minimum event requirements:
- Must be no more than 15 years old as of December 31, 2017. (Year of birth must be 2002 or later.)
- Must have valid passport from your country.
- Must exhibit sportsmanship and have the positive friendly O’Pen BIC attitude that is worthy of representing the O’Pen BIC Class at this very special event.
All participants must have completed the selection process and
have booked air travel by April 1, 2017.
Preamble: All hopeful participants should understand that the regatta is not about determining the best sailor from the countries involved. It’s a unique opportunity for a lucky few sailors to experience the America’s Cup and represent the O’pen BIC Sailors of Australia on an international stage.
Those lucky few don’t have to be the fastest sailors; they do have to represent the O’pen BIC sailors of Australia in a favourable manner, remembering the key value of the class.
Selection Process and Criteria:
What the prize includes:
- An entry for two sailors (one male and one female) into the 32-person O’pen BIC regatta to be held during the 35th Americas Cup in Bermuda, June 15-18, 2017. Rustic (camping style) housing, most meals, entry fee, and boat charter are included at no charge. Exact details available via the AC Endeavour O'pen NOR.
- $AU1500 each towards flights and accommodation for the two sailors to Bermuda for the event.
Sailor Selection Prerequisites:
- Must be no more than fifteen years old as of 31st December 2017. (Year of birth must be 2002 or later.)
- Must be a resident of Australia as determined by BIC Sport Australia.
- Must take part in the Gold Fleet of the 2017 Australian O’pen Cup.
- Must own an O’pen BIC prior to competing in the 2017 Australian O’pen Cup.
- Three backup females and three backup males will also be selected should the first, second and third choices not be able to attend.
Selection Process: One female and one male will be selected to represent Australia from the 2017 Forward Sailing Australian O’pen Cup, Jan 4-9, Henley Sailing Club, Adelaide https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?E=22644
Names of the top 20 places in the Gold Fleet will go into a hat. The first male drawn from the hat will be first in line as the chosen male sailor. The first female drawn will be the first in line as the chosen female sailor.
The above process will continue until 4 additional back up sailors are chosen for each of the two places available.
Back up sailors will be called upon in order of their selection to replace the top place getter should that person not be able to make the regatta for any reason.
- All participants must have completed the selection process and have booked air travel by April 1, 2017.